What is Error 15240?
Error 15240: The payroll update did not complete successfully.
We get this error on our screen while updating QuickBooks Desktop or downloading a payroll update.
While performing the same task we may also encounter one of these errors:
File Exists: The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program.
Internet connection error: unknown error
These are generally caused by incorrect settings. The inappropriate configurations which give rise to this error can be of Internet Explorer security settings, firewall settings, or system date and time settings.
But not to worry this can be resolved by following a few quick steps.
- Run QuickBooks as Administrator.
- To launch QuickBooks as Administrator right-click the QuickBooks icon on your Desktop, then select Run as Administrator.
- Check Internet Explorer settings.
- Select the Gear icon, then Internet Options. Further, go to the Advanced
- Here, you scroll down in the box to Security, mark Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0. Then select Apply, then OK.
- Check with the system date and time settings
- Select the time display on your system, then click on Change date and time settings.
- Set the correct date and time -> Apply -> OK
- Add Windows permissions to QuickBooks installation folders
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\. For 64-bit users, C:\Program Files (x86).
- Right-click the Intuit folder, then select Properties.
- Select the Security tab, then go to Advanced.
- Make sure the owner of the folder is showing as User If not, you will have to take ownership of the Intuit folder. The step to do this:
- On the Advanced Security Settings window, select Change beside the Owner name.
- Type Users in the Enter the object name to select field, then select Check Names and click OK.
- Mark Replace owner on sub containers and objects select Apply, then OK.
- Now, select Users on the Permissions window and then allow Full control.
- Click Apply, then OK.
- Now you may proceed with downloading the updates. If the error still appears then add Windows permissions to the following folders using the procedure mention above :
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit
- (For 64-bit users) Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit
- Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Intuit
- Navigate to C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Intuit
Navigate to these folders and then make the changes in Properties as we did for QuickBooks installation folders above.
- Verify your third-party firewall
- You are recommended to get in touch with your third-party firewall technical advisor for instructions about adjusting the settings and allowing QuickBooks to download and install updates.
- Ensure that these two files are given access to go through your firewall, exe ( which is QuickBooks executable file) and qbupdate.exe (which is QuickBooks update executable file)
- Make sure that ports 80and 443 on your machine are not disabled.
In order to know how these ports are enabled and disabled, we suggest you to kindly contact QuickBooks technical representative to get quick and effective support.