Read the article to know how to create and use purchase order in your QuickBooks. The purchase order feature is available in QuickBooks online plus and older QuickBooks online edition products.
Uses of purchase order:
- You can state what product and services you intend to purchase from the vendor.
- Details like quantities of an item to be purchased and their respective prices can be defined using a purchase order.
- With an accepted purchase order, you get an agreement with the vendor to receive the specified products or services under the given terms.
You would require enabling purchase order feature to create a purchase order in your QuickBooks. You can also check whether the purchase order feature is enabled in your QuickBooks or not. To do that:
- From the toolbar, click on the plus icon (+) and select purchase order.
- If you don’t see the purchase order option on the screen, click on show more.
If you find purchase order feature listed but receive a message “we’re sorry! Purchase Orders is turned off” then you would need to turn on the feature.
To turn on purchase order feature:
- Open QuickBooks and Select the Gear icon from the Toolbar and click on Account and Settings (or Company Settings).
- Select Expenses from the left menu that appears on the screen.
- Click on the pencil icon that appears next to purchase orders to make changes.
- Put a check on Purchase Orders box.
- You can enter titles for up to three custom fields, if necessary.
- You can put a Default Message on purchase order if you want.
- Click on Save and then Done.
This will enable purchase order feature in your QuickBooks and then you can create your purchase orders easily. If you need any assistance, you can contact QuickBooks support @ 1-800-290-0629.
While entering a purchase order, you must keep the following points in mind:
- The status while entering a PO is set to open and after all the quantities or amounts on the PO are indicated as received, the status will get changed to closed automatically.
- To change the overall or individual line status, you can edit the PO anytime.
- A customer can be selected for each line item while adding a PO. You must ensure to mark the billable box after adding the PO to a vendor transaction.
You can also run a purchase order report in QuickBooks online.
- Open QuickBooks and select reports from the left menu bar.
- Select expenses & vendors from the reports page.
- You can select any of the given reports;
- Open Purchase Order List
- Open Purchase Order Detail
- Other Purchase Detail reports
Run and customize the reports according to your requirements.
For more help and assistance with purchase order, you can connect to our experts’ team by calling directly on 1-800-290-0629.