This article is really helpful if you are migrating from QuickBooks desktop to QuickBooks online. If you are new to QuickBooks online we recommend you to keep your data file in QuickBooks desktop. A list of features is discussed in the article to let you know about the changes that occur and also to make you understand if your data is supported or not. Wondering if QuickBooks online is right for your business? Consult QuickBooks support @ 1 (877) 227 2303 to make the correct decision.
Data which doesn’t get imported
There are some specific data which is not imported when you convert from QuickBooks desktop to QuickBooks online. The data which doesn’t get converted include reconciliation reports, recurring credit card charges, reports and audit trails etc.
Important: you may require an app to integrate with your QuickBooks online to access features like sales orders, price levels, Fixed Asset Tracking with Fixed Asset Manager, Estimate to Actual Reporting, Balance Sheet by class for non-profit organizations since these features are not included in QuickBooks online.
- You have to continue reconciling in your QuickBooks online where you left off. You can access your previous reports only from those saved in QuickBooks desktop.
- You need to recreate the recurring credit card charges in QuickBooks online and cancel the existing automatic charge from QuickBooks desktop.
- You need to customize the report yourself that sets your preference. A list of apps is available to create customized reports.
- The new changes will be captured but the QuickBooks desktop audit trail doesn’t get converted.
Follow the steps to confirm if the feature is converted or not?
- Press Ctrl+F (for windows) or Cmd+F (for Mac) in a fresh browser. This will open the browser’s find function on your screen.
- Type the name of the feature that you are looking for (example: reconcile, bill payment, estimate).
- An explanation will appear on the screen if the feature you find is included.
If you did not find it helpful, contact QuickBooks support @ 1 (877) 227 2303.
Consider size limitations
- Though QuickBooks desktop enterprise and QuickBooks online does not have list limits, there is a size limit to be considered while converting from QuickBooks desktop to QuickBooks online. A company file with targets less than 350,000 can only be converted from QuickBooks desktop to QuickBooks online.
- You can check the total targets in your file by pressing F2 or Ctrl+1 on your keyboard. The file information will show you the total targets.
- You would require condensing your file if it exceeds the size limit.
Contact QuickBooks support to get help with condensing the file.
Limitations in QuickBooks online:
- QuickBooks online is unable to create customized reports using the data.
- Though the vendors are converted from QuickBooks desktop to QuickBooks online, there are some information/details that don’t get converted such as contact, vendor type, custom fields etc.
- Existing users do not get the access automatically instead they need to invite again after conversion.
- QuickBooks Online doesn’t support to do list and none of the existing notes get converted to QuickBooks online.
- Customers, vendors, and jobs are not categorized by type in QuickBooks online.
- Reminders that are set in QuickBooks desktop are not converted to QuickBooks online.
- Though the transactions and payroll accounts are converted to QuickBooks online in order to balance the books, it doesn’t convert the details behind the transactions.
- Transactions that affect the accounts such as liability refunds, adjustment transactions are converted to journal entries.