While installing QuickBooks desktop you might get the error “There is not enough space on drive C:\ to extract this package”. So here is the solution to this.
Firstly, when does this error appear? This error appears while extracting the installer.
The reason why we receive this error is when our computer has less than the required 1GB of minimum available storage.
In order to fix this, you need to set up folder and access permissions and delete temporary files to clear memory.
Now here are the steps for doing so.
The first step is setting up the folder and access permissions. Now there are different procedures of it depending on the different versions of Windows OS.
For Windows 10, 8, and 7
- Launch File Explorer. The shortcut to do so is, on your keyboard press Windows logo+E.
- Navigate to C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Temp or type %temp% in the address bar.
Note: To launch temp folder you may even type %temp% in the run box.
- Right-click on the Temp folder, then select Properties > Sharing > Share…
- Add the Windows User Profile you’re currently logged in to and the QBDataServiceUser that corresponds to the year edition of your QuickBooks (e.g. QBDataServiceUser29 for QuickBooks Desktop 2019, QBDataServiceUser28 for QuickBooks Desktop 2018).
- Now set the permission level of both users to Full Control and then select Share.
For Windows 8.1
- As mentioned above navigate to a temp folder. Choose the folder and select Share.
- Now select Advanced Security > Add > Select a principal
- Further select Advanced > Find Now.
- Choose the user and select OK
- Select Full Control and
The second step is deleting temporary files, i.e.; deleting files from a temp folder.
- Launch the run window. Press Windows logo+R on the keyboard or type Run in the start.
- Type %temp% then hit Enter.
- Select all the files by press Ctrl+A, then Delete. If you get an error pop up, close the application giving error and retry.
- Retry extracting the installer package. The file name depends on the edition and version of your QuickBooks (e.g. QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2018 = QuickBooksPro2018.exe).
The two ways can be you can either:
- Double-click the downloaded file and then follow the prompts.
- Use an existing file extractor installed to unpack the installer.
The third step is rebooting the computer.
This will help you in managing drive space and proceed with installing QuickBooks desktop. However, if you continue to have difficulty even after performing all the above-mentioned steps kindly try to fetch the installer package again.
We recommend not using any third-party application to unpack the installer file and if the issue persists with unpacking the installer, consult an IT professional.